(insert name here)

the semi-regular musings of a semi-regular dude who's trying his best to make anything-but-regular music.

7.15.2005

alright, already!

since everyone wants the skinny on last nite, i figure that i oughta deliver lest i get my ass kicked. so here's the shakedown (breakdown, takedown...everybody wants into the crime life):

last nite was great. the 5 spot is a really cool joint with a good vibe and all the right beers. the crowd was slightly larger than normal, and very warm & friendly. some friends that i haven't seen in a while were able to make it out and some people that i didn't know until last nite made it out and spent some time chatting with me so that i can call them friends, too. things, as they tend to do, ran a little bit late, but most everyone stuck with me and even "made" me play an encore.** molly thomas was fantastic, as was katy bowser and shawn byrne's band.

the big story of the nite was that i whipped out a song i haven't played in 20 months (dec 5, 2003). the only reason i know the date is because i played the song at the imagine no handguns john lennon tribute with the long players. (side note: the long players have me 1 degree of seperation or less from the boss, roy orbison, patti griffin, squeeze, al kooper, jason ringenberg, tommy womack, will kimbrow and other fantastic artists that i can't think of). the song? i'm only sleeping, from the beatles' revolver. it's absolutely my favorite beatles' song ever (i think. it's one of the few that i can play and sing well. i've got lots of almost faves including, but not limited to: nowhere man, i'm looking through you, she said she said, & and your bird can sing. i gotta stop there or i'm just gonna hyper link the whole damn catalog.). i think it went pretty well, besides getting the lyrics out of order in the chorus that appears after the bridge. YOU try remembering everything in the right order after 20 months!

the other really cool thing about last nite is that the set was filmed. it turns out that craig havighurst, nashville's best music writer, is making a documentary about nashville's pop rock underworld and has asked if i'd be interested in being one of the artists featured (i said yes...). very damn cool, indeed. i'll let you know more details about this little project as i have them and have permission to discuss them.

thanks to everyone that made it out. sorry that some of you couldn't make it but rest assured i'm not going anywhere, so you'll have your chance to see me again sometime in the relatively near future.

**okay, i don't know that i can really call it an encore. 2 people asked me to play one more song before i even got off stage and i obliged them with a song that i don't play very often.

4 Comments:

At 4:16 PM , Blogger Jamie said...

Ok. Let me get this straight. You sing one of my top five favorite Beatles songs to sing out loud to other people (I can't narrow it down to just five, so I have to have sub-categories) from one of my top two favorite Beatles albums (along with Let It Be) and I'm partying to 'So Long, Farewell'?

SOOOOOO not fair!!! Not that it's your fault. But I'm still disappointed. Glad to hear it went well.

 
At 5:01 PM , Blogger newton dominey said...

well, as late as i played, you could've brought the dancers and their leiderhosen over to the bar and we'da done my favorite things!

i love the song, so it might start making more frequent appearances (as should you!).

 
At 6:18 PM , Blogger Stella said...

I almost feel like I was there now.

I'm sensing some John Lennon domination going on. I have the same problem. He's such a bad ass.

Next show...I'm so there. And apparently Jag's paying.

 
At 8:25 AM , Blogger Chad said...

wow...not only a rock star, but a movie star too! I guess knowing you now puts me two links away from the Boss. Pretty damn cool, if I may say so.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home