(insert name here)

the semi-regular musings of a semi-regular dude who's trying his best to make anything-but-regular music.

1.06.2006

overheard in baptist hospital delivery wing

i'll get to the title in a second. first, a play by play of my birthday festivities; not to rub anyone's nose in it, but to just highlight the efforts of the best wife ever (formerly referred to as the wife).

-got home at 6.30. best wife ever wants to have a champagne toast to my birthday. (we ultimately pass because i'm empty stomached and champagne doesn't agree with me without food. nevertheless.)


-upstairs to unwrap some of my presents (of which there were 5). best wife ever picks which ones i get to open (as all good gift givers do). a brand new copy of old school, beck's sea change, and a bottle of glen moray (one of my favorite scotches). now THAT'S a good start.

-downtown to the melting pot. waiting at our table? balloons and a card from the best wife ever. no song and dance from the wait staff, although i would've participated had they serenaded me. cheese, salads, wine, entree, coffee, dessert and a slow walk out to the car later, we were on our way to "some place that makes us smile."

-it took her a few funny turns, which only increased my confusion, but a few minutes later we arrive at baptist hospital to go look at babies (i could be overheard more than once saying, "i want me a baby, hi. get me a baby."). she knows i love kids of all kinds, so she thought we'd go here to check out little chicks and dudes that share my birthday. yes, that's barfingly sweet. that's why she's the best wife ever.

-back home for more gifts. a monocular (one eyed binocular. handy for taking to hockey games...) and a bottle of glenkinchie (another tasty malt) are unwrapped. the best mother in law ever even dropped off her gift while we were gone (it was a pasta pot. not the coolest gift ever, but thoughtful as hell since she knows i love my pasta.)

-the best wife ever's tuckered out, but says she wants to hear the new song. she likes it so much that she hears it twice. at 12.30, much later than normal, she heads off to bed and i head outside to enjoy of glass of glenkinchie and 2 american spirits.

this is my mountaintop, from the top of which i shout,

"i have the best wife ever!!!......and she's really hot!!!!"
--
okay, the title...

so we're looking at babies sleeping and crying and doing their baby thing. there's an average looking dad and his (guessing) 4 year old son looking at we later deduce to be the new little brother. pop's got junior on his back, looking in the window. best wife ever and i witness the following exchange:

dad: so whatdya wanna name it? (yes, it.)
son: (straight faced) chicken nugget.
dad: we can't call it (yes, it) chicken nugget. whatdya wanna name it (yes, it)?
son: boy.
dad (as they walk away): we can't just call it boy...whatdya wanna name it...

9 Comments:

At 9:54 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi!!! I´m look your book.. and next summer I´m going to go to Memphis (Tennessi)for holidays. My interisting the Bible too. My name is matt, I´m spanish. If your want writte me (chat): mateoguerrero007@hotmail.com

 
At 10:42 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your wife is TEH BEST!!!!!!!!

OH wow.. what a great thing to do to go look at other newborns :) So sweet.

Happy Birthday again, see you tomorrow!

 
At 12:09 PM , Blogger Jamie said...

Oh my God, if Muffy actually going to be able to make it to a function? I think my heart just stopped.

Newton, can I share your wife? I want someone to treat me like that. Added bonus - I'll bet she could cut the dogs' nails without making them bleed.

 
At 12:45 PM , Blogger newton dominey said...

clip them more often...then they won't bleed.

(and now i can keep my wife)

 
At 3:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nemo needs a bath!! And a haircut!!

 
At 3:13 PM , Blogger newton dominey said...

i know this one groomer...

 
At 3:27 PM , Blogger Stella said...

Nothing like feeling like you were there. She is SO the best wife ever!! You guys are still my inspiration. And I still wanna know what kind of chocolate you got for dessert.

 
At 7:11 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh wow! Now that's love, that's a very wonderful wife you have there! Alas, I'm still older than you. ughh......Happy Birthday Newton!

 
At 8:08 PM , Blogger View From The Lake said...

You guys are too cute. So many people would kill to be in your shoes...

Happy Birthday, Best Husband to Best Wife Ever.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home