(insert name here)

the semi-regular musings of a semi-regular dude who's trying his best to make anything-but-regular music.

2.02.2006

of dads and sons and bands

i think i'm about to make an ass of myself. i really don't care. i'm not pissed off or anything, just put out with this post today thanks to nashvilleistalking.

it seems that this guy ryan was very recently divorced from his wife and is moving across the country. now, i don't know ryan, nor do i regularly read his blog. i know nothing about him other than what i read today. knowing nothing of his circumstance, i won't make judgements about him. but i will take issue with something he said. here's what set me off :

I embrace the mere thought of reconnection, independence, and responsibility...I look forward to introspection and nothingness. To crassness and conviction. To experience. Fucking Christ, how I have missed experience.

ryan has a son named emerson that he loves dearly. i don't know how old emerson is, but i'd guess he's about the same age as i was when my parents split up. my dad wanted to experience things too, i'm sure. to be out from underneath the burden of a wife and kids.

you know what i wanted? i wanted my dad. i wanted to play catch. i wanted to be like the other kids. i wanted experience, too. with him.

you know what he wants now? experience. to see me play a show. to have experienced my growing up - to teach me to drive, to shave, to see my first date. he wishes he'd been there for those experiences. he'd trade in all the ones that he had for all the ones he missed. too bad, so sad. we both lose.

i hope when ryan's older that he can fix his relationship with his son like my dad did with me. actually, i hope it doesn't get messed up in the first place. but i have a hard time believing that he has to go across the country for experiences. my guess is there are plenty to go around right there in his old house.

so there. i think divorce is stupid and that dads & moms are supposed to work things out and that kids are forever the ones getting fucked over in this deal. does that make me an ass?

7 Comments:

At 4:35 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

"But in a couple hours I board a Delta flight for the Pacific Northwest and embrace a five-day bender with friends I believe were given to me by a higher Being."

I don't think he's moving.Just five days.

 
At 4:38 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, I'm fairly certain he is just taking a short vacation. But your post was touching all the same.

 
At 5:03 PM , Blogger newton dominey said...

see? told you i'm an ass. an ass that can't read apparently.

i still stand by parts of what i said, but obviously the parts predicated by distance don't apply quite as much.

 
At 8:44 PM , Blogger Chad said...

No, not an ass. Just a man with heart.

By the way, I tagged you. Sorry.

 
At 1:09 PM , Blogger Stella said...

Not an ass at all. Both were great posts. I think maybe it would do Ryan some good to see your perspective. Has Brittney seen this?

 
At 1:14 PM , Blogger Stella said...

Lyrically speaking, for some reason this song popped into my head after reading all this...

This Old House
Oh, if this old house could talk
What a story it would tell
It would tell about the good times
And the bad times as well
It would tell about the love
That lived and died inside these walls
And the sound of little footsteps
Runnin' up and down the hall


Oh, if this old house could talk
It would break my heart in two
I couldn't stand to be reminded
Of all the things we used to do
There's no love in this old house no more
So I got it up for sale
Why, if this old house could talk
What a story it would tell


Oh, if this old house could talk
I know what it would say
I'm as lonesome as you are
And I feel empty everyday
Well, I even miss the babies
Who built me up to feel this way
Why, if this old house could talk
Lord, I know what it would say


If this old house could talk
What a story it would tell
We built this home together
And with love we drove each nail
Take me in your arms and hold me
'Cause we've been apart too long
Why if this old house could talk
All it would say is welcome home


~ Loretta Lynn

 
At 3:33 PM , Blogger newton dominey said...

she commented, so i'm assuming so.

(my word verification is ftccok. heh. that's right on so many levels)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home