(insert name here)

the semi-regular musings of a semi-regular dude who's trying his best to make anything-but-regular music.

6.22.2006

me & my sled, part deux

i've often wondered what it would feel like to blow a tire while driving down the interstate.

last nite i got to find out.

there i was, tooling down i-24 towards home after dropping off some promo kits when, all of the sudden i hear a pop, like i ran over something. except that i didn't see anything big enough in my headlights that would've made that kind of a pop.

first thought: "some idiot kid is throwing crap at cars on the interstate again."
second thought (immediately after first thought): "nope. that's my tire."

for the record, i didn't officially blow the tire. it's still in one piece. but the tire went completely flat in less than half a mile, so i'll count that as a drastic tire failure. back to the story...

lucky for me i was right at the harding rd/i24 exit, so i limped it on to the shoulder to assess the the damage and determine if i could make it to the shell station across the street so i could put the donut on. 30 minutes and some dirty hands later, i was on my way home with the big tire in the back, the little tire on the road and a tallboy of busch beer in the passenger seat waiting for me to pull into the driveway to be opened (it's amazing how working on a car makes me crave cheap beer).

this is the 3rd time in the recent past that i've had to replace a flat tire in a hurry. i'm getting pretty good at it. so much so that i'm wondering if i might have a future as a tire changer on a nascar pit crew. i mean, really, if i can change a tire manually, with a "roll up" jack and a tire iron in 10 minutes, shouldn't i be able to zip a couple off and zip a couple on in 12 seconds if someone else is doing all the heavy lifting?

long story short: by the end of the day, i will have spent a total of $2000 on my shaggin' wagon in the past 3 weeks, and i've still got to replace my brakes in the next couple of weeks. i could have a coke habit for this kind've money, and not have to worry as much about keeping my girlish figure...

(edit: long story longer...i know that a lot of you guys already own my cd. i appreciate that. i know that a lot of you guys don't. for those that do, if you like it, please tell your friends how much you like it and recommend that they pick one up through itunes or cdbaby. hell tell them i'll mail 'em one if they send me a check for $5 plus $1 in postage. if you have previously considered picking it up and passed, please reconsider. i'm broke like a $5 watch.)

4 Comments:

At 5:38 PM , Blogger Stella said...

I like how you make sad stories funny. And dude...I can so see you as a Nascar tire changer. But take that as a compliment, mmk?

$2K on ol' Sammy? I hate to say it...but he may not be worth that much these days...

I know. I'm in the same boat.

 
At 9:42 AM , Blogger newton dominey said...

it's only 2 years old and has 60k miles.

if a saturn ain't worth that after 60k miles, i've got to take an ass-whippin' trip to columbia.

 
At 9:42 AM , Blogger newton dominey said...

correction. 2 years old to me. it's really 5 years old. either way...

 
At 3:31 PM , Blogger Stella said...

Yeah. That's BS. But I love my happy little Saturn!!! It's almost 9 years old and running strong...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home