(insert name here)

the semi-regular musings of a semi-regular dude who's trying his best to make anything-but-regular music.

2.07.2006

rapid fire

gonna be a busy little beaver today. so here's what's on my mind and what's going on today, all quick like:

-i'm attempting something i've never attempted before: recording songs "for real" at my home studio. not demos to take to a producer or to musicians to learn. i'm recording the real deal at my house. all the loops and sounds i've been working on have given me the confidence to try a few on my own as producer, engineer, band and...actually i think that's it. so far things are going really well. i'm getting good sounds, finding good parts and moving pretty quickly (2 songs halfway done recording). i've got until the 23rd to get 3-4 songs done, so keep your fingers crossed that i can keep with the pace.

-my new ipod arrived yesterday. holy marty mcfly is this thing badass!!!! i'd forgotten how much i missed my old one, but this is like having a pet hamster that "disappeared" when you were a kid only to find it replaced by a brand new puppy. wow wow wow.

-speaking of ipods, the guy that's suing apple for hearing loss due to the ipod's loud volume is a fucking idiot. i guess he got the special ipod without a volume control. and, (AND!) he isn't even claiming to have hearing loss. i guess all those former break dancers that used to rock the block with the box on their shoulder should sue sony. or maybe run dmc for making block rockin' jams. someone should drop a 60 gig ipod into a sweatsock and beat this guy with it.

-the nashville predators will make me stroke out by season's end. win 5 straight, lose 3. beat detroit twice in a row in two nites in their barn, lose to minnesota and columbus. play like worldbeaters last nite for half a period in dallas, play like dogshit the rest of the game.

-having just raved about my ipod, i must admit that i'm buying records lately. not cd's. not downloads. vinyl records. 12 inch discs (careful how you read that aloud). i'm loving it. i'd forgotten how thrilling it is to open a big cardboard sleeve, slip the record out of the jacket and see my favorite songs in grooves on shiny black platters. it's all quite sexy really. so far my new collection consists of: born to run, the wild the innocent and the e-street shuffle, the river, greetings from asbury park (all bruce springsteen) and sergeant pepper's. in the next few days i'll be the proud owner of 3 costello records and hopefully a big star record or something. long live vinyl! thanks to the best mother in law ever for letting me "borrow" her old record player.

that's all. the man's on my ass this month, so i better get back to work.

7 Comments:

At 2:50 PM , Blogger JD said...

The ipod is handy as hell but man is vinyl so much cooler to listen to and collect. Throw out which Elvis Costello records you're snagging. I've got "Trust" but haven't ever heard anything else.

 
At 3:14 PM , Blogger Jamie said...

I haven't seen a vinyl copy of Sgt Pepper other than my dad's in forever. All I can ever find are the blue and red compilation albums. But then, I haven't been looking lately.

 
At 3:44 PM , Blogger newton dominey said...

this is what santa postman is bringing (hopefully today):

this year's model
armed forces
my aim is true
a 7" with un-named songs

AND because there was a goof on the shipping, the guy's sending me another disc or two, but didn't mention who or what.

can i get a whut whut?

 
At 5:20 PM , Blogger Rex L. Camino said...

I just listened to "This Year's Model" on vinyl the other day. Something about Costello's voice just comes through so much better on record, in my humble opinion.

my verification word is: tnexje

 
At 8:37 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck with the recording..

I just finally got a delta 44 soundcard last month.. I've wanted one for years..

Now I just need to, uh.. get a computer to put it in..

 
At 8:24 PM , Blogger Stella said...

Wait...so what happens on the 23rd?? Does that mean I get a freshly burned copy on the 24th?? Hand delivered???

 
At 9:52 AM , Blogger newton dominey said...

well, i leave on the 24th, so i've got until the 23rd (2 weeks from today) to get everything taken care of.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home