(insert name here)

the semi-regular musings of a semi-regular dude who's trying his best to make anything-but-regular music.

4.17.2006

been thinking...

(this is long. i think it's a good read, but it's long. don't say you weren't warned.)

so yeah, it's been 11 days since i had a post. i've stopped looking at sitemeter, because i know that all of my hits are coming from some picture i posted of an old lady kicking some dude in the junk. the thing is, i really haven't had much to say. and i've been busy with "real" work and trying to not be depressed about what i want to do, which is play music. it's not ALL that i want to do, but it's pretty much the whole enchilada, minus maybe the mole sauce and sour cream. get it?

we went to austin this weekend to see my family. we had a great time. an honest to goodness great time. i was able to spend a few minutes with my grandmother (i wish it could've been days, but i'll take what i can get), my great aunt (who's like a back-up grandmother), and my aunt (who's kind've taken over in some of the "mom" duties over the past few years). i also got to hang out for a while with my cousins and their kids - whom i treat like neices and nephews. this is where today's conundrum started.

my cousin's husband is in sales and does very well. big house north of town, disposable income, independently wealthy, kind've well. while he doesn't like what he does, he's happy. i mean truly happy. you can see it in his face and the way he acts around his wife and kids. he's got joy.

me? i don't make as much money ( i probably could) at my paying job, but i honestly can't make myself do the work any more than i do because i don't like what i do (stick with me, i'm going somewhere with this, i swear.). so i'm talking to the wife about this - how happy he is, compared to my relative misery - and i give her my theory:

i want to be great.

i don't mean that i want to be great at sales. i want to be GREAT. like ghandi. like springsteen, costello & the clash. like jim wallis (the founder of sojourners). like albert einstein. like andy warhol. the kind of greatness that people who don't know, know. i really mean that. i think that, whenever it's my time to die, if i don't feel like i've had an impact on people, not just a person here and there, but THE PUBLIC, that i will have not had a fulfilling life. like i won't have lived up to my potential. and i really do feel that i have that potential. maybe it's wrong-headed and maybe my self evaluation skills aren't what they ought to be, but i feel it.

the thing that i've been so conflicted and concerned about is: do i feel it in the same way that the fat girl who can't sing that you seen on american idol feels it? she thinks she's great. her family supports her.

but she sucks. not only that, she sucks and no one wants to look at her (you can fix one or the other, but not both).

what if "this" is all i'm supposed to do and be? what if this is it? if greatness isn't in my genes, in my divine plan, can i be satisfied with...normal? i've never thought of myself as normal. i tried to be normal in high school and felt like i was cheating. normal wasn't part of college. it's not part of me now. so what happens if it turns out that this is what i get? a non normal dude stuck with a normal life? a "corporate" life?

it scares the hell out of me and, being terribly frank, makes me sad to the point of fighting back tears some times.

what's worse is that this fear/realization/whatever is crippling my creativity, or at least i feel like it is. i'm trying so hard to be great and to be "not normal" that i'm blowing songs up before i let them begin.

i spend most of my time around people who have no aspirations to anything other than what they have in front of them - working their job until they die. in a corporate box. in the face of this i'm trying to keep my individuality and my sense of purpose (cue steve martin from the jerk. "i have a special purpose!!!). and my visions (or delusions) of greatness.

the wife posed a question to me that i've been struggling with, in light of my cousin-in-law's happiness:

would you trade greatness for happiness? if you could be great, but you wouldn't be able to have things you want and do the things that you do, would you want to do it? or would you rather be happy, but anonymous?

damn that woman and her questions...

6 Comments:

At 6:57 PM , Blogger Stella said...

First off, I'm a dedicated fan. I'm still checking every day. Call me diehard.

Now...I must read.

 
At 7:12 PM , Blogger Stella said...

Wow. Yeah...I know what you mean. Seeing as I am working for the man as I type, I'm going to have to come back to this later (or just ring you) for a more elaborate response.

I think the B.W.E. brought up a "great" point. Above all, you should follow your heart. Maybe there is a happy medium here. I happen to know someone else who is in a similar position. But in all this "holding out" for the dream to happen...is there something else you could be doing that would satisfy both hungers?

Don't forget to enjoy the now...

I would never ever encourage anyone to put a halt to what they believe in. Ever. However, I would encourage someone to not put their present lives on hold in the meantime. LIVE! And don't be sad. We are at the age of ruts. I guess. Of course, what do I really know?

I believe that you shouldn't have to write off your "un-normalness" or the yearning for expressing your creativity. Coming from a bit of a rebel girl...I actually thrive on being different. Hell, I've branded it. Ha!

At any rate, in the meantime, don't make what's not happening right now your sole purpose in life. Maybe make it your motivation...your inspiration. But putting all that aside, do what you would do otherwise to make things happy, and then things will follow their course.

Make sense? I'm not sure if it even makes sense to me. But there it is for now.

I can't imagine what my elaborate response will be.

 
At 11:59 AM , Blogger Chad said...

Madman,

Ditto Jill's #1 post (and most of #2). I will email you a response to this post in a few days - been thinking a lot about these issues myself lately.

It says a great deal - all good - about your integrity that you take the time to struggle over vocational issues.

 
At 7:58 PM , Blogger T.V. Fritz said...

Why does it matter to have an impact on the public? Why can't you go about your daily life affecting average people by just being the incredible person you are?
I know that sounds really gay, but there's some truth in that.

 
At 12:35 PM , Blogger Stella said...

This is true, a bit. It is sometimes greater to be anonymous and change the world rather than just being plain out there.

Something to think about...

 
At 3:58 PM , Blogger T.V. Fritz said...

Also...what are you 28? Last time I checked you weren't pushing sixty.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home